Revealed: The most popular video game console in Europe

  • The PlayStation 5 is the most popular video game console in Europe, with the highest number of searches across 43 countries.
  • The Nintendo Switch is the second most popular console in Europe with the highest number of searches in four countries. 
  • The Xbox Series X/S didn’t come out on top in any European country but was more popular than the Nintendo Switch in Hungary and Ukraine. 

The PlayStation 5 is the most popular video game console in Europe, according to new research.

Casino review site Bonusetu analyzed the number of Google searches in every European country for the three latest generations of video game consoles; the PlayStation 5, the Nintendo Switch, and the Xbox Series X and S collectively. They looked at the cumulative number of searches over the past 12 months for ‘console,’ ‘buy console,’ ‘console for sale’ and ‘console games’ to find each country’s favourite.

The PlayStation 5 was found to be the most popular console in Europe, ranking as the most searched for in a massive 43 out of the 47 countries included in the study. Azerbaijan was found to have the highest proportion of searches for terms relating to the PlayStation 5 (63.3%) compared to the other consoles – the Xbox Series X/S and the Nintendo Switch. This pattern was closely followed by Bulgaria with 62.7% and Georgia with 61.6%.

Sales of Sony’s PS5 rose dramatically in the first quarter of 2023 across Europe, increasing by as much as 500% across the continent, according to financial results released by Sony in February 2023. The console’s powerful specs and exclusive flagship titles, such as God of War and Spider-Man, have made it a favourite among serious gamers.

Stock shortages are said to have bolstered interest in the console, enabling sales to go through the roof when supply was finally increased. Since its release, around 37.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles have been sold worldwide.

The more portable Nintendo Switch was the top choice in four European countries; Andorra, Ireland, Liechtenstein and Spain. Searches for Nintendo Switch consoles accounted for 46.4%, 43.8%, 45.5% and 47.2% of total video game console searches respectively, in these countries. The Switch was also found to be the second most searched console across the majority of Europe, with the second-highest number of Google searches in 41 countries.

Released in 2017, the Nintendo Switch is an earlier entrant to the gaming console market, with both its portable and traditional gameplay options cementing its place as a fan favourite. Alongside classic franchises like Mario and Zelda, newer releases such as Animal Crossing: New Horizons have helped solidify the Switch as a top choice for European gamers seeking a family-friendly gaming option or those wanting to engage with immersive game worlds on the go.

Microsoft’s Xbox Series X and its little brother the Series S, appear to own a much smaller market share across Europe and collectively rank as the third most popular in the majority of countries. The Xbox Series X/S failed to come out on top in any European country, but collectively was the second most popular console in Hungary and Ukraine.

Across Hungary, 34% of the search terms analysed were for the Xbox Series X/S, while the other 66% was split between the PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch. Ukraine was also found to have the majority (30%) of its searches in favour of the Xbox Series X/S.

The console’s focus on high-performance gaming and backwards compatibility with older games is likely to appeal to avid gamers while also boasting Xbox exclusives such as the Halo and Gears of War titles.

Microsoft has recently declined to make its sales figures public, however analysts estimate that Xbox Series X/S sales trail PS5 sales, though not by as wide a margin as they used to. Sales figures for Xbox Series S, the smaller, less powerful version of the Series X are included in total console sale estimations by analysts. Current worldwide sales figures estimate that Microsoft have sold 21.7 million Series X and Series S consoles in total.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *